Nah, I'm not quitting making resolutions, just finally made the time to write them down here. Most people don't achieve or maintain all their resolutions, I certainly will not accomplish everything (and that is ok). Beside I see them more as guiding goals for the upcoming year, I like to visualise and make them more accountable this way.
I'll first review my goals of 2018 and see how that went. After that I'll list my new resolutions for 2019.
- Do more - This would be a yes and a no for me. I feel I've done more things with my daughter, but juggling work, business and family between 2 parents with no additional family or friends to take care of the little one, made it that we did more things separately (father/daughter or mother/daughter) and not as a full family. I'd like to go on more weekend trips as a family in 2019.
- Do less - I've stepped up my work pace and ventures and will continue to do so in 2019, see below in the resolutions for 2019 section.
- Travel - In the winter of 2018 is where we hit most of this goal with a 3 week trip to Thailand and Malaysia. In the summer we went to Europe for a family visit and that made 3. Could have been more if a personal situation in the summer prevent us from travelling outside the Netherlands.
- Financial goals - Some of the squares are finance related, of which we've pretty much stopped eating out. Maybe to the point where we should eat a little bit more out. I have a plan in place and have started to accept financial uncertainty. I have not created a massive new passive income stream, but I have started investing in index funds and crowd-lending (Envestio & Fast invest), which providing a monthly return. I would have liked a bit more in the savings account, but don't we all :) But overall I am in a happy place from a finance perspective.
- Others - I've utterly failed to study Chinese characters (again). I really should, but apparently I can't get my priorities adjusted for this. Also I've not made any headway with the whole video drama. I have however ridden myself of a lot of possessions and 'crap' I had laying around, which feels great and provides headspace around the house. And I've hit my reading goal , even though it was in a 3 to 10 ratio.
- Do - Continue doing the things I did more and less, make time for weekend family trips now that the little one is nearly two years old, it will be easier and more fun for all.
- Travel - I feel it is time to explore some new countries, places that have been on our bucket list are South Korea, Sri Lanka, Japan. No concrete plans yet, we will see where we end up.
- Financial goals - This year I hope to break or get close to 2000 EUR monthly passive income. It might be a bit of a stretch, but by sitting on the couch we are not going to get there, so let's push for it. Now that I have a financial plan in place and have started to measure net-worth among others, I will be able to assess any changes in net-worth at the end of the year.
- Others - I've became the host of China Business Cast, a podcast about doing business in China. Quite a few of my goals are related around that, starting with a bi-weekly publishing schedule, first episode will be going out on 14 February. This will force me to step up my content game, systemise and improve my public speaking. And if my life was not busy enough, I'm also enrolled in a masters of education.
Well those are my resolutions / goals for 2019. We'll see how things go over the year and what we are actually able to accomplish!